Our thoughts (whether we realize it or not) have an incredibly powerful impact in shaping our reality. As Dr. Wayne Dyer says, "Our thoughts become our tomorrows". I'm sharing this with you not to have you worry, stress out, or feel guilty about your existing thoughts. I'm sharing this with you because I want to give you an incredible tool that helped me to leverage my thoughts to create the outcome I want (but more on this later!)
So why is this? How does this even work?
That's a topic that books can be and have been written on for decades! One of the simplest explanations, without getting into all the detailed metaphysical science, is from Mike Dooley. He says, "Our thoughts literally become the things and events in our lives. Just like the law of gravity, it is a law." If this is the law, don't worry or lose sleep over what you may have or are currently thinking. Instead, think of this piece of info as an INCREDIBLE TOOL (our thoughts!) available to us, for free that can create immediate, powerful changes in our life when we leverage them!
So, what's the best way to do this? Through Affirmations!
Some of you may be full into daily affirmations, busting through your limiting beliefs and manifesting the reality you want. Some of you may be completely new to this idea and have never even heard of affirmations. And some of you may be in between these two groups.
Wherever you fall, there's something I want to share with you to help you further turn your dreams into your reality! Before I get into it, let's just get clear on what an affirmation is. An affirmation, as Louise Hay explains, is "a positive statement you say or think about yourself. Saying daily affirmations helps reprogram our negative self talk so we can manifest more positive thinking, feelings, and experiences in our lives." So many people when I first begin to coach with them tell me, "I've done affirmations, I do daily affirmations, I have my Vision Board, I know my Why, I'm an affirmation King or Queen ... " Yet they aren't getting the results they want in their life. They wonder why they aren't seeing their income increase or haven't met their soulmate.
They ask me why is this happening? There are a 7 key differences (some subtle!) that when missing can make or break an affirmation. When you have these keys in place they can take your affirmation from great to powerful.
AFFIRMATION ETIQUETTE - 7 KEYS:
1. I AM: Begin your affirmation with "I AM ..." There have been books written on the power of I AM. So many of us are conditioned from childhood to default to the "I AM NOT ..." not smart, not pretty, not funny and the list goes on. We often compare ourselves, put ourselves down without even realizing how much this may be engrained in our wiring. By starting your affirmations with I AM you are sending a clear message out to the universe of what you are wanting in your life. Instead of saying "I am not tired" you want to affirm the positive "I am full of energy". Making this shift will create a ripple effect in what your mood and experiences.
2. Power of the Present: Create your affirmations in present tense only (starting with I AM will help with this!). Avoid "I will ..." this keeps your full manifestation of your reality always in the future
3. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat: If you are working to rewire your mind, to align your thoughts with your true desires, it takes repetition. After all have you heard the saying that it takes 21 days to form a new habit? That's exactly what you want to do with your affirmations. You want to repeat them as often as you can throughout your day, so they become your new norm, your new default. To help with the repetition, I post my affirmations almost everywhere! Sounds a little intense, but it's deceptively powerful! My phone screen saver, computer background, bathroom wall, bedside table are filled with my affirmations to cue me to say and think them. I highly recommend doing this for your first 30 days and at least stating your affirmations every morning to set the tone for your day and every night before bed so the last things you have running through your mind before sleep is your desired reality.
4. Light Your Fire: Affirmations are incredible at stating to the universe what you want to attract in your life. While you want to repeat them you don't want them to become a monotone script. You want to have your heart and emotions in them. You want to say your affirmations with feeling because feelings are fuel for your affirmations to come to life! Best way to get feeling into it? Have fun with your affirmations! You can sing them out loud, jump up and down, say them in an accent whatever you need to do to not be monotone and robotic, but to have some joy and excitement behind them! This may feel awkward at first, but you can practice this in your alone time - getting ready in the morning, in the shower, in your car - and it just takes a few minutes.
5. Short but Sweet: You may be able to write pages of affirmations and I encourage you to go and do that. Create a full blown vision of the life you want to manifest. Heck, I have a full vision wall (not just a board) for mine! But when it comes to stating your daily affirmations, I've learned from so many of my own mentors that keeping affirmations to three sentences max for each area of your life is most potent. Some will even say one concise I AM present statement for each area of your life that you want to effect change. For myself personally, I have found it more powerful the shorter the sentence because it's something that's been easier for me to remember and repeat with emotion whether I'm in the car, walking or in between clients!
6. Leave Out the Guesswork: To create powerful affirmations, you don't need to know how things will come to be, you just need to be clear on what you want. So saying, for example, "I am wealthy" is great but saying "I am so happy and grateful now that money comes to me in increasing quantities from multiple sources on a continuous basis" is even more clear (that one is a favourite of mine that I learned from Bob Proctor). This isn't a big difference, it's subtle but those subtle tweaks create more clarity. The more clear we are, the easier we make it for the universe to respond!
7. Go Big: I often get asked if affirmations should be about an immediate goal or a bigger vision. Go for the bigger vision always. Why? Because if you affirm the bigger vision you want - those more immediate goals will inevitably be a part of the course! For example, if you want to meet a wonderful guy or gal, but your bigger vision is to be married with children. Affirm the bigger vision because inevitably as part of that you will meet the one you want to marry and so on and so forth. Don't be afraid to dream big!
I hope you will take these 7 keys and incorporate them into a daily affirmation routine - give it a try for at least 30 days and let the magic happen!
Here's to changing your world!